Wednesday 1 June 2016

When 4 songs has the same melody and you have nothing against it.

One sound, one heart
one music, one art
Various singers but same passion
Various lyrics but same interpretation



As I go deeper into the internet, the weirder the stuffs I find. This may be common for people who surfs the internet just for fun, and seriously it'll take up most of your time.

So, this is what happened to me.

As I browse on Instagram and clicked on this fanmade video, a familiar melody was heard then I searched the lyrics of this certain song which turned out to be Regine Velasquez' (a Filipino singer and is also known as the 'Asia's Songbird') and Jacky Cheung's (a Singaporean singer) "In Love With You". 



I looked into the comments section and as expected there are a few Filipinos and Singaporeans comments, but then I was intrigued when I saw some Korean writing there. I know that Velasquez and Cheung was big back then but their song is back on 1994, and as far as I know Koreans are not that into globalization back then (if what I know is true, you can contradict this statement anytime). And it turns out, there was a 90's South Korean song that has the same melody as well. The song was "시작되는 연인들을 위해" ("The start of a couple", roughly translated) by Lee Won-jin and Ryu Geum-deok.



It was supposed to be a controversy back then since both songs were released on 1994, but I can't find any articles about the suit or about the controversy in general.

However, I was still restless because these two songs are great but it's not quite what I was looking for and that was the time when I remembered Mariah Carey and her song "Thank God I Found You" together with Joe and 98 degrees, which was released on 2000.




Now there was one lawsuit about this song that was settled out of the court. Apparently, there was another R&B group Xscape with the song "One of those Love Songs" released on 1998. (Hah! I just found this one while I am writing this post, it is definitely getting interesting.)



And while I am talking about this melody now and how the people behind this songs are claiming that they are ripping off of each other. There is a certain song that started this melody at this was back in 1988, whether we say they all ripped off the melody from this song or not, this song is definitely the best version of this melody. (Not only because it is a classic but the singer was also fantastic) and no, it's not the One Direction song.





Sooooooooooo, basically I spent a whole four hours listening to these songs and savoring the song as well (there were a lot of karaoke moments in my part) and researching about it as it led me to another intriguing statement to another. 

It was fun listening to these songs and I hope that you guys have fun listening to it as well.

I am not creating a controversy or anything, I'm just pointing out how similar they are and I just want to tell you that you're not the only one who things these songs sound the same. ;)


yours,
sleepypotterhead

No comments:

Post a Comment