Monday 12 September 2016

WHEN THE HALLYU WAVE HITS YOU HARD

Ooh that charm, that grace
These human being that's good in sing and dance
Top it all off with a charming face
For month's you will sure be in trance


I think you already guessed what this post will be about.
Not a few months ago have I really been interested in boy groups and all that but I had to admit that I already foreseen that one way or another I'll be like my friends who fawn over this pretty guys.

It's not that I'm clueless about the Hallyu Wave nor am I that innocent -- I have been watching asian dramas and have a couple of boy groups that I loved and liked back when I was a kid.
F.T. Island "Where's the Truth" album cover
The thing is, Hallyu Wave in the form of boy groups have never been THAT appealing to me to the point that all my playlist will be filled of 'em (like yea, I may have downloaded a few, most songs from soundtracks of the dramas I watched).
But you see, that's clearly not the case now.

Before the only Korean groups that I follow is "CNBlue" and "F.T.Island" and oh, have I known all their songs and what the members are up to -- especially CNBlue. This is basically because I prefer pop rock, rock genre and that's what these two groups produces. 
And these two are the only ones I followed..... until now.


CN Blue "2gether" album photo teaser

I am a sucker for Asian dramas and I watch every time I have a free time (to be honest, it's taking up too much of my time that I don't even have time to read or practice piano sometimes) but it's not that bad at all since watching Asian dramas since I was a kid inspired me to learn a new language -- now, I am also learning Korean.

Back to topic, so with my love of Asian dramas comes with my love of its cast and its OSTs, and that's where this boy group madness began.

After a few years of resistance, I just gave in little by little.

The first boy group that I followed was INFINITE

INFINITE "Reality" album cover
I was amazed by the vocals and charisma, and basically fell in love watching them on reality shows. And since we're talking about boy groups and stuff already, the first member that introduced me to this group is their member "L" -- because he starred on these dramas that I simply liked, and he was really good at portraying his characters as well. As of the moment, he is my "bias" among the group, but "Woohyun" (Namu) is closing on that top spot.



Next on the list is "Born to Beat!" BtoB
BtoB "Remember That" EP cover

I was thankful that I discovered this group during their first take on their ballad trilogy (and that was last year), otherwise I wouldn't notice them AT ALL. (Simply because the pop, hip-hop genre is not really my thing). This group is simply perfection, I tell you, their vocal line is impressively great as well as their rap line (plus they can simply switch roles) and they are super dorks!! Like seriously!! They can take every guesting into comedy and that is just what I love about 'em.

I was introduced to this group by "Sungjae" -- because like L, he was also starred on the few dramas that I liked (School 2015: Who Are You is so goooooood!) and currently my bias is "Changsub" :)




NEXT is "Voice, Visual, Value in Excelsis", VIXX!

VIXX "Hades" EP cover
I am still on the hype on this group. Personally, I find boy groups with superficial concepts stupid, but this group is noted as the "Concept Kings" of Kpop and surprisingly I was hooked because their concepts are seriously thought of and you will feel how hard they prepare for these stuffs.

The release of their latest song's MV, "Fantasy" even put my mood up for the whole day and no one put my mood down that day (and I am usually grumpy), clearly that is the effect of this group to me.
The most amazing thing here is they have a power rapper, "Ravi" that can also sing, plus their power vocals are just goosebump-ily good. [So I'm gonna stop here because if I keep going, this will never end... as I said I am still on this group's hype]

I have known their member "Ken" before, since he sang a OSTs of two different dramas that I loved, and back then I never had the interest to actually look them up, all I know is that this guy has a very good voice and his voice lifts my mood up. Not only when I saw them across the MTV Diary (back then I was so into BtoB that I watched all their reality show and then I saw VIXX there and I was intrigued) did I looked them up. As of the moment, my bias is still Ken... I loved his voice right from the start, and his 4D personality.... whoa!!



Currently I am looking into EXO 
(now, if any Kpoppers would read this... I only knew EXO a few days from now because I just think that a group similar to Super Junior is not really worth attention but I stand corrected)

EXO "Ex'Act" album photo teaser
So, I basically started from the very beginning and have been watching EXO Showtime last week, and they are cool guys, honestly. It's just sad that there are three members that are not with them anymore (contract severed). So right now I'm enjoying EXO-K's songs, especially "Peter Pan" (because if you haven't heard I am a sucker for Peter Pan, like ANYTHING related to him I truly love) and I have yet came to the era when the three members were out. I am just currently enjoying their variety shows.

It's not like I never knew EXO (duh? SM Ent's marketing is superb, plus the news), it's just that I preferred not to know about them back then but when I saw Suho on "Exciting India" (with Minho, Kyuhyun, Jonghyun, Sunggyu and Changmin == please note that Jonghyun is a member of CNBlue and Sunggyu is the leader of INFINITE, so there is no chance that I wouldn't come across this show), I literally fell in love at first sight (firstly, because he looks like Siwon of SuJu) and he looks like a sensible guy, so he's basically the one who introduced me to his group. As of the moment, I am still undecided of my bias but D.O. and Chen is coming at me.



Just like I said, I was never naive on things K-pop because my friends talk about it a lot and the Philippines is probably the number one fan of Hallyu Wave so, there is really no use in resisting it. Just so you know, these groups are the ones that is coming close to my heart and it's not like I haven't heard of the others:

SUBCONSCIOUSLY I know and I like these groups/soloists:
- Super Junior (duh?) (I even dreamt of Donghae before I even know or saw them, weird....)
- Big Bang
- SHINEE
- Amber of f(x) (sorry, I don't really find the group appealing but I find her great and interesting)
- AOA (because they are part of the FNC fam, agency that manages CNBlue and F.T.Island)
- Got7 (mainly because of Jackson, JB and Junior)




So, there......
I think I'm gonna watch some Kdrama now.......




yours,
Sleepypotterhead










No comments:

Post a Comment